Can you believe it’s already been a year since I’ve gotten my Big Fig? For those who are new to the blog (welcome), last year the excellent team at Big Fig gifted me a mattress that changed my life! I did not realize how a high-quality mattress could improve not only your sleeping patterns but even your posture.
A little bit about the Big Fig:
- High-Density Foam -The Big Fig Mattress is constructed with 3 inches of high-density foam cushioning, with a minimum density of 1.8 pcf (pounds per cubic foot). That’s over 50% denser than the foam in a standard innerspring mattress.
- Hybrid Construction– The Big Fig’s hybrid construction of springs and foam provides the ultimate mix of support and comfort. Individually wrapped coils support the layers of foam to maintain their shape and resilience over time.
- Innerspring System– With 50% more coils than the average premium innerspring mattress on the market, our 1600 count innerspring system actively pushes back against body weight, and provides underlying support.
- Firmer Edge Foam To Keep You Happily In Place– The Big Fig Mattress is designed with the firmest foam around the edges to keep you feeling secure in bed, even close to the edge. Supportive edges also expand the usable sleeping area, making your mattress feel more spacious.
- Tested To Last 20 Years With Published Results – The average lifespan of a traditional mattress is frustratingly short –, especially for plus size sleepers. They sent the Big Fig Mattress to an independent testing facility to prove its durability and longevity. They used a heavier weight than normal (350lbs to be exact) to simulate 20 years of use, and the Big Fig passed with flying colors…and much much more.
While we are constantly bombarded with commercials that feature mattresses, there aren’t commercials that are specifically larger bodies and specifically designed with larger bodies in mind. It’s officially been a year since I’ve had my fig and it still feels like the first day I got it. In fact, I just moved to a new apartment, and it didn’t bend or lose its shape.
One of the best thing attributes of my Big Fig is how cool the surface felt during the hot summer months. Reflecting on my previous bed, I remember a few summer nights where my bed felt moist and so uncomfortable to sleep on. Also, remember the sinking pains that I had in my back? Within two weeks, those were gone! My trainer even noted how much stronger my back has gotten. He thought I should’ve visited a Physical Therapist when in reality I needed firmer support for my bed. Gone are the nights where my back was sinking in the middle of the bed. I know that mattresses are an investment, so if you want another honest review, read more here.
The firmness of the bed is really what gets me. I know I don’t only speak for myself when I say one of the biggest pet peeves of owning a mattress is having to buy a new one within two years because of the permanent groove in our favorite spot of the bed. My bed feels brand new every time, even a year later. My bed has also played host to few sleepovers when my favorite plus size bloggers come into town! They truly love it! It feels great knowing that the only I have to worry about; as far as my night’s rest goes, is which show do I need to fall asleep to.
Speaking of sleep, the amount of time it takes me to fall asleep decreased by TWO HOURS!! Before my Big Fig, I would hit the sheets by 11:00 pm, but toss and turn until about 1:30am-2: 00 pm. Today, it takes me no more than 15 minutes to fall asleep. Sleep is so essential for our bodies to function. Since I have to wake up at 5:30 am to meet my trainer, it’s crucial that I get quality night’s rest because my muscles need lots of rest before grueling workouts.
I am not someone who loves change much, but my Big Fig is one of the reasons why I am changing my outlook on change. If you are looking for a bed that not only lasts longer but improves your quality of sleep and daytime performance, please check out Big Fig!